Time to get out your calendar and mark these dates in what is promising to be a very action-packed August. Ready?
- Philippa Namutebi Kabali-Kagwa is kicking off the Babishai Niwe Poetry festival with a live Facebook chat on poetry; writing it, what informs her own writing and yes, she will be performing. Philippa’s book, Flame and Song is written in both prose interluded by poetry. Join us?
When: Wednesday, August 2nd
Time: 2000hrs, EAT
2. The Babishai Niwe Poetry Festival, in it’s third edition, is running all week long at different locations. If you are a poet, writer, storyteller, you should be interested in this. Poetry in Mabira? A poetry library? Poetry seminars? And a poetry workshop by Peter Kagayi himself? These and more are what you will find at this year’s festival. Find the rest of the programme here: #Babishai2017 Programme
3. The Fireplace: Tot Tales, our book club for children will be running on Saturday 5th August (The Ntinda Chapter) and Saturday 12th August (the Bugolobi Chapter). Details below:
4. Have you heard of Ivan Mathias Mulumba? Let me tell you about him. Ivan is the guy that has made sure that every Ugandan writer has a Wikipedia page. No one asked him. No one pays him. No one sends him. He does it because he believes in the visibility of Ugandan writers. Ivan is a writer in his own right having published a poetry collection, Poetry In Motion, before. Under his publishing house, Mattville Publications, he brought to us Nakisanze Segawa’s The Triangle.
This August, Ivan is launching a novel, The Honking and a poetry collection, Rumblings Of A Tree. Details below.
5. The Fireplace: #MEiREAD, our book club for adults is, this month, reading Blackass by Igoni Barrett. Blackass tells the story of a black man who wakes up and finds himself…white. Join us:
When: 15th August
Where: Kahwa2Go, Ntinda Complex, Opposite St Luke Church
6. You can also find us at The Writivism Festival this month from 17th to 20th August at The Square. Sooo Many Stories will run The Fireplace: Tot Tales, our book club for children, The Fireplace: #MEiREAD where you, storylovers will get to meet Igoni Barrett, the author of Blackass and I will host a panel on writing sex. Here is the full Writivism Programme.
See what we meant by action-packed? Looking forward to seeing you this August!