Ebi naaba ntabiteireho enamba, tindaamare. N’ahabw’ekyo, ka nkugambire enshonga eikumi ezituturaaga omutima gwangye.
- Nomanya akamwenyo kaawe kunikasiimura ababyami?
- Noyijuka obu baasi erikuza Kampala yasigire Rutaro ahugyiire omu kweboneza? Haza nyowe mba mpugyiire omu kukurootaho.
- Reero tindagambe aha eiraka ryaawe. Nibabasa kugyira ngu ondogyire.
- Kyo katugambe aha mijwarire. Nooha owakwegyesize? Tori nkeitwe abarikusiiba omu birikwiragura ne bya mutare nk’ebikoona na za kanyamunyu. Iwe nooba noyengyengyeta.
- Toboneire kusha, obumwe nintiina kugamba ngu ntarebeka nk’ekyishushani. Reero maawe nomanya kumbukaaza, nyenshanga ndikugambagurika. Nokikora ota?
- Ngarukamu, nokikora ota?
- Noyijuka obuwambariire obwe ndikugyezaho kuzimba omutwe? Manya okanyoreka orurengo rwangye! Hm. Tindikigarukira. Reero orwakurasireho wanyoherereza obutumwa ngu ndeire nta?
- Hoonashi okuncuriganya, okanyata omutima okaba okigyendereire? Hati ahundikuraba bareeba ekishankara. Manya hati waaba otariho nanye nimba nk’otariho. Aba Rugo bakabeiha, akabindirano tikakabishoboroora byoona.
- Hari wangyira ngu nokikorota?
- Nambwenu wareeba okunatandika kugambisibwa? Kurinaba ngabirwe ngizire ngu “Kyo”! Bikagarukiraho.
How do you do it?
If I do not number this, I won’t finish. So I will tell you ten reasons that sweat my heart.
- Do you know that your smile wakes the sleeping?
- Do you remember when the Kampala bus left Rutaro behind while he beautified himself? As for me, As for me, I get left behind because I be dreaming of you.
- Then: I will not talk about your voice. They may say that you bewitched me.
- Let’s talk about dressing. Who taught you? You are not like us who wear black and white, like crows and the pied wagtails. You…you glitter.
- You are not just beautiful, sometimes I fear to say anything for fear of looking of looking clueless. Then you make me feel comfortable and I find myself talk-talking. How do you do it?
- Tell me, how do you do it?
- You remember when you told me off when my head was trying to swell? You showed me my level! Hm! I will never try again. Then, the next day, you sent me a message asking how I slept.
- In tickling me, did you intend to explode my heart? Nowadays where I pass they see a frame. When you aren’t there, I am not there. The Rugo people deceived, unconditional, obsessive love doesn’t explain it all.
- Again, how do you do it?
- You see, I have started talk talking. I should have just said “Kyo!” and shut up.
Edited by Maximus Byamukama
(I have wanted for a while now to publish stories/poems/proverbs/riddles, myths and legends in our local languages but translating has been extremely difficult. I hope, with time, we’ll be able to figure it out. I want to thank my dear friend Maximus Byamukama for agreeing to proofread Bwesigye’s piece. Thank you, Max. Don’t know what I would have done without your help. -Nyana)